Internship - Technology team - WFP Regional Office in Cairo
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict, and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 100 million people with food assistance in 88 countries each year. The organization has a global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to nutritious food and contribute to the lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
WHY WORK AT WFP
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤
Make a difference, the world will notice.
We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍
Build bridges that unite people across the world.
Being part of a global, diverse and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives.
How we deliver our mission in a deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡
Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find.
WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE ⭐
Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential.
WFP offers the kind of life-changing experiences you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations.
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about WFP; the 2020 NOBEL PEACE PRIZE LAUREATE!!
Follow @WFP_Careers on Twitter
WHAT WE OFFER
You will learn about WFP and its culture through real-life work experience, a field visit to one of the WFP sites in Egypt and exposure to various job roles. We will provide you relevant soft skills and on-the-job training and feedback to kick-start your professional career. Through this experience, you will develop new skills and make new connections that very well might provide professional references for you someday.
Clear responsibilities as of day 1:
You will have clear job responsibilities and live the experience of being a WFP employee.
Continuous mentoring and coaching:
You will work with professional teams and receive formal training and ongoing coaching.
You will get the chance to enrich your skills and work with people from 30+ nationalities.
Throughout their assignment, WFP interns have access to an industry-leading learning platform, weLearn. Depending on opportunities and availability of funds, he/she may participate in WFP workshops or seminars, as appropriate.
WFP Technology Division (TEC, formerly known as the IT Division) is the digital business engine of the World Food Programme, providing the business with multi-pronged and resilient technical capabilities able to respond with the agility required in humanitarian operations. Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crisis, but they are also increasingly expanding to the services responding to those same crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, WFP has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works.
Technology and connectivity are rapidly reaching some of the most vulnerable people and places affected by crises, but they are also increasingly expanding to the services responding to those same crises. As one of the main humanitarian actors, the World Food Programme (WFP) has the opportunity and the obligation to leverage data and technology to better know and serve those in need by digitally transforming the way it works. Such ambition led to a plan aimed at establishing, integrating, and mainstreaming the core elements of an end-to-end digital business process
We are currently recruiting 3 driven and independent students for internships based in the Regional Bureau of Cairo to assist the Technology team with a lot of stimulating new projects. As part of the Technology team, this internship will contribute and assist in developing and coordinating world-class programs and solutions in diversified areas like Operations, IT solutions, Business intelligence, analytics, and others.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled and have attended University courses in the last 12 months inclusive of having completed at least two years of undergraduate studies preferably in Computer sciences, Computer engineering, Software development, Information technology, Data Science or other related fields.
- University course attendance in the past 12 months.
- Excellent command of English; working knowledge of a second UN language would be an asset (preferably French, Spanish or Arabic);
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Familiar with Computer systems, Networks, Software development, Databases and Data Analysis, Internet technologies, Software requirements definition etc
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Desire to learn about and develop key skills in the field of Technology.
- Flexible work style and approach based on client needs.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with people from different backgrounds
- Team player and problem solver.
- Strong analytical, written, and verbal communication skills; high attention to detail.
- Ability to think, plan, and execute multiple projects simultaneously in an organized way.
- Technology savvy; ability to think out-of-the-box and to come up with innovative ideas.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office package, particularly Excel and PowerPoint.
- Fluent in oral and written English and, ideally, in an additional UN language.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
IT Operations Intern (1 position):
1. Respond to routine queries received and escalate where appropriate, to provide timely and accurate service to clients.
2. Provide a set of standard business support activities, where required, to contribute to the effective functioning of business operations.
3. Carry out system and equipment maintenance tasks, such as backup system data, equipment refresh exercise, and system protection, to ensure they are running effectively and enable easy and efficient use.
4. Respond to basic queries about technology and systems to support the correct application of technology.
5. archives in order to support senior officers in managing these systems.
6. With direction from senior colleagues, collate information to be included in standard material
7. such as training documentation, to contribute to the availability of information about services and products.
8. Follow up with stakeholders on the delivery of IT equipment.
9. Coordinate with the inventory focal point to register new equipment and update the location of the moved items
10. Support internal and external events hosted by WFP Regional Office in Cairo.
IT Solution Intern (1 position):
1. Write program code to support the development and implementation of efficient and effective IT solution components.
2. Perform unit and integrated testing of new, enhanced, or fixed code in order to ensure completeness and adherence to technical specifications.
3. Collect and collate data, and conduct basic analysis to support the development of accurate reports.
Business Intelligence Intern (1 position):
1. Gathering end-user reporting and dashboard requirements.
2. Build data models and dashboards to deliver insightful analytics while ensuring the highest standard of data integrity.
3. Reviewing and validating data.
4. Communicating insights to management and across the organizational units.
5. Supporting Data team with Advanced Analytics projects and data
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- Depending on the duty station of assignment, WFP will reimburse travel tickets for candidates who are nationals of developing countries and are pursuing their studies in their home country.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognised institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education;
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
JOB TITLE: Technology Intern (3 OPENINGS)
TYPE AND LEVEL OF CONTRACT: Intern
UNIT/DIVISION: Technology team
DUTY STATION: Cairo, Egypt
DURATION & START DATE: 6 months
DEADLINE TO APPLY: 12 December 2022
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and
encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information,
gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: