Junior Research Assistant-Data and Information Systems
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Junior level - Junior
- Administrative support
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: Closed
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Junior Research Assistant
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Junior Research Assistant in Data and Information Systems, to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research organization with a global mandate to conduct research on potatoes, sweetpotatoes, Andean root and tuber crops, and sustainable management of natural resources. CIP’s vision is to contribute from its areas of expertise to the fulfillment of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), in particular those goals that relate to poverty, hunger, child and maternal mortality, and sustainable development. CIP has its headquarters in Lima, Peru with staff and activities in locations across Africa, Asia and Latin America. CIP, a member of the One CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future. One CGIAR science is dedicated to transforming food, land and water systems in a climate crisis, and it is carried out by 13 CGIAR Centers/Alliances in close collaboration with hundreds of partners, including national and regional research institutes, civil society organizations, academia, development organizations and the private sector. .
About the role
The International Potato Center (CIP) through the SweetGAINS project has been working at modernizing sweetpotato breeding programs, by improving excellence in the management of breeding data. The new position will contribute to management of breeding data, management of germplasm information systems and development and management of monitoring and evaluation systems for sweetpotato projects.
• Work with sweetpotato breeders to ensure all germplasm at KEPHIS have sufficient minimum passport descriptors and these are uploaded on the germplasm information system. • Provide technical backstopping support to germplasm information management system users at KEPHIS, Muguga.
• Support the annual updating of the digital sweetpotato catalogue.
• Support existing tools used for breeding data capture, and all germplasm labeling. • Support capacity building efforts among project collaborators and partners in data collection, documentation, and management.
• Contribute to development of data collection forms for digital monitoring and evaluation systems.
• Contribute to management of the sweetpotato knowledge portal.
• Perform any other activity as assigned to by the supervisor.What are we looking for? • BA/BSc degree in Information Systems, Database Management, Computer Science, or related discipline.
• At least one year experience in the supporting research data management systems. • Research monitoring and evaluation systems for research projects, including socioeconomic and/or biological surveys and beneficiary registration.
• Knowledge and experience developing Open Data Kit (ODK) forms.
• Experience of working in agricultural research setting preferred.
• Good interpersonal communication and personal organization skills.
• Advanced written and oral communication skills in English, Fluent in Kiswahili. Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP works with partners in over 20 countries to improve diets and incomes of poor people in Africa, Asia and Latin America through scientific research, innovation, and capacity strengthening.
• CIP’s programs seek to strengthen broader agri-food systems to generate economic, social and nutritional benefits for farmers, enterprises and consumers emphasizing the priorities of women and youth in particular.
• CIP emphasizes the synergies between social and bio-physical sciences as a core strategy for making breakthroughs in our understanding of complex development challenges in food and agriculture and for our ability to overcome these.
What are we offering?
• Excellent working environment.
• Competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
• Fixed term contract of 1 year with possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/) and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on February 14, 2023 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted. This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenya nationals and permanent residents only.
This position WILL NOT have contact with children or vulnerable adults
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged to apply.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: