Local Security Associate
syrian arab republic
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: syrian arab republic
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: Closed
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Administrative Officer, the Local Security Associate leads the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security of OCHA personnel and property within Syria.
- The LSA is mainly required to manage and guide all security and safety issues related to work for OCHA Syria, considering that LSA will reporting directly to the Head of Admin Unit.
- Key Duties and Accountabilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office, and under the day-to-day guidance of the Head of Administration, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Summary of key functions:
- Collect, update and communicate information regarding the security situation in the country.
- Create and maintain an OCHA Security Plan, including updating staff lists and related measures.
- Assess the Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for OCHA offices.
- Report on security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets.
- Organize and deliver training to staff to enhance security awareness and preparedness.
- Provide security and logistics support to convoy planning and deliveries.
- Manages the security guards and provides general security assistance as requested.
- Perform any other duties as required.
Collect, update and communicate information regarding the security situation in the country:
- In coordination with DSS, liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation.
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station (Damascus & field offices) and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the Security Focal Point.
- Maintains regular contacts with DSS and Security Focal Points of UN agencies.
- Attend and actively participate in security meetings as appropriate (e.g. SOC).
Create and maintain an OCHA Security Plan, including updating staff lists and related measures:
- Prepares and regularly review the OCHA Syria Security Plan under the overall UN Security Plan for Syria.
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
Assess the Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for OCHA offices:
- Monitors compliance with Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) established for the duty station.
- Assists with the compilation of data required for the MOSS Self-Assessment Programme.
Report on security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets; and prepares security reports, such as the Security Incident Report.
Organize and deliver training to staff to enhance security awareness and preparedness:
- Provides security orientation to newly assigned staff members and conducts ad hoc security briefings, as required.
Provide security and logistics support to convoy planning and deliveries:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents.
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities.
Manages the Security Guards and provides general security assistance:
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences.
- Administers a pass and ID system.
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences/hotel, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
Impact of Results:
- The safety and security of OCHA staff is given high priority and is ensured.
The Local Security Associate (GS-7) will supervise and provide guidance to Local Security Assistant and Security Guards in managing and provides general security assistance as requested:
- Provide security coverage at the entry points of OCHA premises and annexes.
- Maintain alertness for any potential or actual breach of safety and any disturbance or unusual activity.
- Report to the LSA all safety and security related issues and comply the directions of the Security Focal Point.
- Support security evacuation plan.
- Manage zone wardens.
- Managing front desk coverage, identify all staff, maintaining daily attendance, and monitoring daily visitors.
- Collecting data for preparing the daily overview and staff head counts reports.
- Perform other related tasks.
- A minimum of High school Certificate
- Or, First-level University degree (Bachelor) of experience in public administration, international relations, political science, social science, in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work or any other related field.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- A minimum of 7 years (High School) or 4 years (Bachelor) of experience in public administration, international relations, political science, social science, security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work or any other related field is required.
- Experience in Managing Security Guards and providing general security assistance is highly desirable
- Relevant experience in Emergency situations (complex emergency or natural disaster) is highly desirable
- Experience in formal training in security risk management, 1st Aid training, Advanced Life Support is desirable;
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable;
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation is desirable;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes is an asset;
- Solid computers skills are required;
- Ability to travel; and physically fit is required;
- Fluency in English and Arabic (oral and written) is required.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
- Act with Determination LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
(Show Managerial Courage, Demonstrate Empathy and Emotional Intelligence, Motivate and Direct, Build and Enabling Workplace, Build Capability, and Lead with Humility).
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Business Direction & Strategy: Effective Decision Making: Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
- Business Management Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks.
- Business Direction & Strategy: Negotiation and Influence: Ability to reach an understanding, persuade others, resolve points of difference, gain advantage in the outcome of dialogue, negotiates mutually acceptable solutions through compromise and creates win-win situations.
- Security Services: Security advice, planning and coordination: Ability to provide with authoritative advice and guidance on security management, plan and coordinate security activities.
- Security Services: Security risk management : Ability to assess threats and risks, identify and oversee implementation of mitigation measures, including ability to design and test security plans.
- Security Services: Security crisis management & response: Knowledge of crisis management and response arrangements as well as the ability to prepare for, respond to, support/manage security crisis events.
Note: This position is only for National Candidates.
• The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. Qualified women are encouraged to apply. Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
• The United Nations recruits and employs staff regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds or disabilities. Reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities may be provided to support participation in the recruitment process when requested and indicated in the application.
• The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web
• The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Applicant information about UNOCHA rosters
Note: UNOCHA reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNOCHA at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: