Teachers to implement “ESCWA Stories” activities in Kuwait
- Organization: UN - United Nations
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Consultancy - Consultant - Contractors Agreement
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2023-03-26
Result of Service
The contractors will be required to provide educational and extra-curricular activities based on the “ESCWA stories” implemented with the students.Work Location
3 MonthsDuties and Responsibilities
The ESCWA Stories Team was established by ESCWA’s Executive Secretary to mainstream the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) among young persons in the Arab region by using the “ESCWA Stories” comic book as an educational tool. The Team visits educational institutions, interacts with students and teachers, and organizes activities and events for the promotion of the comic book and its objectives. The pilot phase of the project was implemented in Lebanon during the academic year 2021-22. This year, the project is expanding in Lebanon, Jordan and Kuwait.
Against this background, teachers in Jordan are needed to implement activities with school students between the ages 8-14 based on the “ESCWA stories” comic book. Teachers will work in close cooperation with the “ESCWA Stories” team at ESCWA, under the overall supervision of the Office of the Executive Secretary.
Duties & Responsibilities
Teachers are required to undertake the following tasks:
• Raise the awareness of students 8-14 years old on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the work of the United Nations through the “ESCWA stories” comic book (volume I and II).
• Prepare creative performances that tackle the UN values and SDGs to be presented during a special event “The ESCWA Stories Day” (May 2023, exact date and location TBD).
• Implement several educational and extra-curricular activities with the students including but not limited to:
- In-class interactive readings.
- Contributing creative stories written by the students using the ESCWA stories characters with a focus on any goal(s) of choice from the 17 SDGs.
- Working with the students to create new characters to be added to the comic book.
- Theatrical performances and art works inspired by the ESCWA stories.
- Community service activities in line with the UN values and SDGs.
A high-school diploma is required.
All candidates must submit a copy of the required educational degree. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
A minimum of 1 year of teaching experience is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat; and Arabic is a working language of ESCWA.
For this position, fluency in Arabic is required. Knowledge of English and/or French is highly desirable.
Note: “Fluency” equals a rating of ‘fluent’ in all four areas (speak, read, write, and understand) and “Knowledge of” equals a rating of ‘confident’ in two of the four areas.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.