Blockchain Support Analyst
Background Information - Job-specific
The UN Office for Project Services (UNOPS) has taken initial steps to explore the potential use of blockchain technology to support UNOPS projects and general management. To date, UNOPS globally has put together a working group on blockchain technology, engaged multiple UN agencies and international organizations around their potential interests, and identified more than 70 potential blockchain partner companies and organizations. At the same time, country offices, including the Nepal Operations Center, have begun to engage local partners in conversation about potential applications for the technology.
The UNOPS Nepal Operations Center is undertaking a process to further research and develop potential project ideas around the application of blockchain technology. This could include ways to use blockchain technology to support government partners as well as applications of blockchain within internal project management systems. Given that blockchain technology is relatively new, and its application within humanitarian and development sectors is even more recent, UNOPS Nepal plans to first conduct a wide-ranging process of ideation to identify potential uses of blockchain. From these initial ideas, a small number of promising ideas will be identified and further developed, with the aim of conducting at least one blockchain project in Nepal.
To support this process, UNOPS plans to engage a contractor to support the ideation and concept development that will lead into project development. This contractor will help identify potential applications of blockchain, assess those applications for viability, and develop a small number of promising ideas.
Output 1: Ideation of Blockchain Potential in Nepal and in UNOPS—Develop a list of potential applications of blockchain technology both within Nepal and within UNOPS in general. For each idea created, it will also be important to identify key elements that relate to its potential as a project or initiative within UNOPS, including:
1) The kinds of technology that would be required;
2) Potential partner and collaborating organizations working in blockchain;
3) The government, intergovernmental, NGO, and private sector organizations that would be engaged;
4) Potential challenges or roadblocks, including legal and regulatory restraints; and
5) Cost and time implications.
Output 2: Further Development of Most Viable and Promising Concepts—From the broader list of potential applications of blockchain technology, the contractor will help identify a small number (3-5) of promising concepts that deserve further research. The contractor will support UNOPS to further research the potential of each idea, including identifying possible partners, key hurdles or roadblocks, and further developing the potential resource (time and money) needs. Based on this development, the contractor will support UNOPS to develop short concept notes which can serve as the basis for discussions with potential funders and partners.
Output 3: Develop Project Proposal Around Blockchain—As potential project ideas and funding opportunities are identified, the contractor will support UNOPS to develop project proposals for submission to potential funding organizations.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
(Clear description of measurable outputs, milestones, key performance indicators and/or reporting requirements which will enable performance monitoring)
- The following deliverables will be submitted by the contractor as requested by UNOPS.
- Project Ideation Report
- Concept Notes for Promising Projects
- Project Proposal
- Ensure high quality project design observing all Clients, local and UN standards applicable and all relevant OH & S procedures are adhered to and in an acceptable manner for LKOC
- The consultant shall submit all relevant and necessary information to UNOPS and the consultants appointed by UNOPS for review as directed by UNOPS.
- It is the UNOPS’ responsibility to organize transport for the design consultant for any field visits outside of Kathmandu and organize accommodation/ lodging for his stay.
- Technical/professional degree in Science, Design, Computer programming or Engineering is required; or,
- A bachelor's degree in related field may be considered in lieu of the requirement of the technical/professional degree and relevant experience
- Minimum 6 years work experience in technology development or computer programming is required;
- 2 years of experience in software development is required;
- 1 year of experience in business management is required;
- Minimum 1 years work experience with block chain technology is required
- Fluency in English is required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA 1
Contract duration: 3 months on a retainer basis
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.