1761 - Software Developer (2 positions)
UNDP’s work in Serbia is guided by the 2016-2020 country programme that focuses on: (a) accountable and representative governance institutions serving people; (b) equal participation for women and lives free of violence; (c) inclusive and sustainable growth; and (d) low-carbon and climate-resilient development. The UNDP office in Serbia supports the country in achieving a high level of human prosperity and dignity for all its citizens irrespective of their gender, ethnicity or creed. UNDP promotes sustainable human development, human security and equal possibilities for all, while providing every available support to Serbia in its progress toward joining the European Union.
UNDP Serbia established a Tech Cell, to increase its capacities for programme design, programme implementation and programme innovation.
The Tech Cell established at UNDP Serbia includes software development specialists, a data system analyst and engineers. The software developers work with the operations team and with project staff, under guidance of ICT Associate and overall supervision by Operations Manager, providing software development services for UNDP Serbia projects.
The positions are based in the UNDP office in Belgrade, with expectations to travel to project sites.
Duties and Responsibilities
Most common requests from project partners for software development represent website development or website upgrade. The technology that is used for new websites is often open source based (open source CMS as a basis, PHP/MYSQL). However, when new web site is requested, the choice of technology is frequently open to choose from, based on the preference of software developer. In addition, occasionally there are requests to install and customize existing solutions to new clients and environments. Source code and all relevant documentation is available for these kinds of actions. A library of previous software development projects is available for use/reuse in the new software development projects to enable faster development and sometimes small modifications of existing solution for the new context.
Summary of key functions:
Under the guidance of ICT Associate and overall supervision of the Operations Manager the incumbent is responsible for:
1. Developing new software solutions (web sites/portals, web databases) for projects upon request (60%):
- Upon receiving and accepting the software development job, provide realistic estimate for the tasks required to complete software development;
- Follow the functional requirements specified in the analysis phase of software development lifecycle and write software codes;
- Participate in the meeting with the software beneficiary for follow up and upgrades if required;
- Maintain software / ensure it is working properly and fix bugs during the project duraton;
- Provide software documentation if required by the project;
2. Adaptations/improvements of existing software solutions for projects upon request (20%):
- Upon receiving and accepting the software adaptation/improvement job, provide realistic estimate for the tasks required to complete software development;
- Provide modifications/adaptations of the existing software solutions, using source code of the already developed solution;
- Provide installation of existing software solutions to new project locations and customize the solutions according to beneficiary needs;
- Provide software documentation if required by the project;
3. Interaction with UNDP CO staff and beneficiaries (20% of worktime):
- Collect beneficiaries needs and requests;
- Advise on realistic requests and provide ideas and software recommendations;
- Advise and guide staff on various elements of a successful software development based on outputs and timelines;
- Analyze project progress reports from external software companies providing services to UNDP projects;
- Write Terms of Reference for hiring companies or consultants as per project needs.
- Excellent software development skills;
- Ability to work on all layers of software development (full stack);
- Good communication skills including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations in a simple and clear manner, both orally and in writing;
- Good organizational and time management skills;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team.
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelors or Master’s degree in ICT area. Having at least one Microsoft Software Development related certifications is an asset.
- At least 5 years of working experience of software development.
- Experience in software lifecycle management, standards for software quality assurance, and software documentation.
- Strong knowledge and expertise on .NET platform and/or PHP/MySQL and/or other development platforms.
- Knowledge on MS SQL and other relational database system.
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English and Serbian.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.