Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
UNOPS Hub in Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS is looking to support Labor-intensive Maintenance in Public Areas that focuses on improving the access to quality education with equitable employment opportunities using the Cash for Work modality (CfW) for both Jordanians and Syrian refugees. The proposed project entails the provision of maintenance works in selected public schools across six governorates in Jordan. This project will not only address the short-term needs in maintenance across the Jordanian Education Sector, but also support the Ministry of Education in Jordan in developing a sustainable school maintenance mechanism.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The Database Officer will work under the overall direction and supervision of the Project Manager performing the below duties:
- Determine the primary data and information elements that are required internally and externally to support the project;
- Design, develop and manage comprehensive databases, spreadsheets and other data tools for the project beneficiaries;
- Understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value data for accuracy, consistency and comparability;
- Consolidate operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis and design;
- Implement sustainable information management and dissemination systems for data collections;
- Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability;
- Propose and implement upgrades to the database web-page, data entry and data storing systems;
- Revise the guidelines of using database ensuring clarity and explicitly in terms of using the database;
- Contribute new ideas for improving the design and the data engine, quality and timeliness of current issues;
- Act as a focal point/central instrument for the collection, analysis and dissemination of information relevant to the project activities;
- Organize, design and carry out the evaluation and analysis of datasets related to the project;
- Develop data standards and advise on the application of these standards;
- Participate in the development, implementation and management of new indicators
- Act as a main focal point for RAIS (Refugee Assistance Information System) and coordination with the Data Unit of UNHCR
- Generate the required reports from the database and assist in analysis/interpretation of data to identify patterns/trends;
- Design and develop reports, charts and statistics using SQL reporting services;
- Generate statistical reports on a daily and weekly basis;
- Provide statistics and data analysis as required;
- Draft routine correspondence and reports;
- Performs other related duties, as may be assigned by the project manager or direct supervisor.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A Master’s degree in computer science, information management or related field is required.
- Additional two years of similar experience and training with a Bachelor’s degree and at least one programming certificate will be considered as equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in designing and programming database management system is required. Must be able to perform software development fundamentals, problem solving, debugging, tuning, and database security is required.
- 1 year of experience in managing database including installation, backup, debugging, SQL and VBA scripting is required.
- Experience in writing and maintaining database design documentation and operating manual would be an asset.
- Experience in training or assisting personnel in the use of database management and different software is desirable.
- Experience in international development context preferably in the UN, bilateral or multilateral institutions is desirable.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.