International Writer/Editor Consultant
Background and objective of the Assignment:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace, and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments to gender equality and the empowerment of women translate into action.
The UN Women Country Office for Egypt works in close collaboration with the Government of Egypt, the UN Country Team, civil society, and international development partners to advance the women’s national agenda and to promote women’s empowerment and gender equality. To support the achievement of its strategic and programmatic objectives, the Country Office develops and executes goal-oriented communications and outreach strategies.
UN Women Egypt is seeking for research, writing and editorial services to research and draft compelling content in line with the organization’s mandate and to support the implementation of the Egypt Country Office’s Strategic Plan 2018-2021. The consultant will be offered a retainer contract, up to 150 days for three years, however, the services required from the consultant will be based on an agreed plan with the Country Office management and to respond to unexpected needs and opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, write and edit a range of high-quality content, including press releases, articles, information sheets, brochures, newsletters, reports, briefing notes, and key messages;
- Identify and develop a storyline for media outreach (e.g. op-eds, policy papers, thematic briefs, press releases);
- Write speeches on behalf of the UN Women Egypt Representative that are appropriate for the national context and adequately articulate the position of the organization across various thematic issues;
- Edit, revise, and rewrite documents as needed to produce high quality, timely, results-based progress and project reports aligned with UN Women established standards and formats;
- Produce summaries and briefs of reports and knowledge products for further dissemination among different audiences;
- Conceptualize and draft other relevant documents as requested.
- Draft and final draft quality briefs, policy papers, speeches, communication products, reports, etc.
- Proofread and edit reports, knowledge products, articles, brief and other documents;
- Research and draft analytical reports, briefing notes, background papers, summaries, analysis, and talking points.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Excellent facilitation and coordination skills;
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues;
- Ability to communicate sensitively across different focal points;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, international affairs, social sciences, or other relevant areas of expertise or Bachelor’s degree with 3 additional years of relevant work experience.
- At least 15 years of relevant professional experience in copy and content writing, research, editing, creative writing, journalism, or related fields;
- Experience of working with the UN System or other international organizations in similar assignments;
- Solid understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues;
- Familiarity with the Arab States region and/or Egypt a strong asset.
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology: Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for the financial evaluation.
Technical Weight Criteria: 70% (70 points)
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, international affairs, social sciences, or other relevant areas of expertise or bachelor’s degree with 3 additional years of relevant work experience. (10 points)
- 15 years of relevant professional experience in copy and content writing, research, editing, creative writing, journalism, or related fields. (30 points)
- Experience in working with the UN System or other international organizations in similar assignments. (10 points)
- Solid understanding of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues. (10 points)
- Familiarity with the Arab States region and/or Egypt a strong asset. (10 points)
Financial Weight Criteria: Lowest Financial Proposal: 30% (30 points)
The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula:
- Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combined score (financial and technical);
- The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula: (Lowest Bid Offered*)/ (Bid of the Consultant) x 30;
- 'Lowest Bid Offered' refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in the technical evaluation.
Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your consultancy explaining your suitability for the work and link to the portfolio of work;
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from?http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment;
- Financial proposal; Proposed inclusive daily rate.
The above-mentioned documents should be merged in a standalone file including all them since the online application submission does only permit to upload one file per application.
Incomplete submission can be a ground for disqualification. Make sure that you provide a valid email address for future communications.