Translator/Interpreter (English, Russian, Kyrgyz)
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO support is governed by its five Strategic Objectives (SOs) and the Regional Initiatives (RIs) and Priorities for the Medium Term Plan 2018-2021 as outlined at the 30th Session of the FAO Regional Conference for Europe: i) formulating effective policies for sustainable and inclusive growth for smallholders and family farms and the rural population; ii) enhancing outreach towards new markets through alignment of trade, food safety and SPS policies to meet WTO commitments and international requirements; iii) improving sustainable natural resource management and combating land degradation and desertification, including mitigation and adaptation to climate change; and iv) addressing food insecurity and reduction of all forms of malnutrition. Currently the two RIs on Empowering smallholders and family farms, and Agri-food trade and market integration cover the first two regional priorities while a third RI on Sustainable natural resource management under a changing climate context is under development to cover the third regional priority, which was also considered when elaborating the County Programming Framework.
The Translator/Interpreter reports to the FAOR/AFAOR/National Project Managers/Coordinators or other relevant staff.
Interpret and translate from/to English, Russian, Kyrgyz a variety of project-related documents, workshops, field trips and missions.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR/AFAOR/National Project Managers/Coordinators or other relevant staff, The Translator/Interpreter will undertake the following tasks:
- Translate/revise in the target language from two or more languages translations prepared by other staff, ensuring consistency of terminology and style throughout the text;
- Produce versions in the target language which are equivalent to the original text in terms of accuracy, completeness, meaning, style and effectiveness;
- Translate requested documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with FAO field of work from English into Russian/Kyrgyz and vice versa;
- Provide simultaneous/consecutive interpretation for project-related meetings, workshops, field trips and missions.
- Review documents in preparation for translation/interpretation for project-related workshops, field trips and missions.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Linguistic Studies, Translation, Law, Economics, Agriculture or other FAO field of activity
- Relevant experience in translation/interpretation work
- Excellent knowledge of English , Kyrgyz and Russian
- National of the Kyrgyz Republic
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in translation/interpretation work, preferably in FAO field of work
- Demonstrated ability to accurately interpret/translate highly specialized technical subjects and detect flaws in interpretation/translation
- Demonstrated clarity of expression and rapidity of composition, breadth of vocabulary and clear sense of semantics, syntax and stylistics in Russian, English, Kyrgyz
- Extent of knowledge of technical terminology relating to one or more fields or subject matters of the Organization
- Extent of knowledge and use of Microsoft Office
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.