National Consultant on Assisted Reproduction (embryo transfer technology)
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan is currently implementing “Improvement of Cattle Production in Azerbaijan through Establishment of Effective Cattle Breeding and Feeding Systems” project under FAO-Azerbaijan Partnership Programme. The main purpose of the project is the improvement of cattle productivity through establishment of an appropriate breeding management and strengthened services for AI, and feeding systems. In the framework of the project, embryo breeding is planned to be implemented at the Scientific-Research Institute of Animal Husbandry under Output 1: Capacities of professional inseminators and embryo transfer operators improved.
Mr. Bariz Mehdiyev , Assistant to the FAO Representative
Under the overall supervision of the AFAOR, the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and the technical guidance of the of FAO Animal Production and Health Division (NSA) and in close coordination with the FAPP Manager; in full consultation and collaboration with the Animal Breeding Department of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the national counterparts, the National Project Coordinator (NPC), Junior Technical Officer (JTO) and the International and National Consultants, the national consultant on assisted reproduction will undertake the following:
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Assist the international consultant in the assessment of the current availability of equipment and development of procedures for donor cows, embryo production and transfer, handling, and storage of semen, ova and embryos at the government Embryo Transfer (ET) Centre in Goygol, Azerbaijan;
- Assist the organization of Training of Trainers (ToT) trainings for selected specialists of ET Centre;
- Develop the guidelines for the quality control system for the embryo production and processing to be implemented in the Centre;
- Participate in the preparation of project progress reports and Final Narrative Report and closing letter for government (all in English with translation into Azeri) at the end of the project;
- Perform any other related tasks as requested.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree in animal husbandry, veterinary, embryo transfer or other relevant field of expertise;
- At least three years of professional experience in embryo transfer production, processing, handling and storage at a recognized laboratory and/or breeding organization;
- National of Azerbaijan .
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Compile inputs for the development of training materials
- ToTs for selected specialists organized
- Guidelines for quality control system developed
- Timely delivery of the relevant reports
- Monthly reports describing implementation status of above tasks
- Experience with working in a participatory manner and in different working environments;
- Proven experience in dealing with laboratory activities;
- Familiarity with laboratory certification and training laboratory staff;
- Excellent command of verbal and written Azerbaijani. English is an asset;
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and use of Internet is required;
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properly
- Female specialists are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.