Insurance and risk management expert
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Corporate Logistics Division is responsible, inter alia, for ensuring that the administrative policies of FAO support the Organization’s programmes in achieving the Strategic Objectives while meeting the requirements of Members, UN partners and resource partners.
The Consultant will report to the Programme Officer
This consultancy will support the Corporate Logistics Division in ensuring effective oversight and management of the corporate insurance policies.
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the general supervision of a unit head, the consultant will specifically:
- Carry out comprehensive review of non-medical corporate insurance needs including self-insured compensation plans, cargo/freight/warehousing insurance needs, third party liability, personnel accident policy, and other policies purchased by FAO globally (headquarters and Field Offices), provide detailed analysis of benefits and areas in need of improvement.
- Conduct stock taking of existing policies, carry out analysis of the Organization’s current capacity in managing of non-medical insurance policies.
- Review UN best practices and interview selected agencies on their approaches and strategies for ensuring fit-for-purpose insurance of operational and general liability risks including: cyber risks, travel, cargo/freight, fleet and property insurance.
- Conduct needs analysis through interviewing of key stakeholders, business owners, and internal clients including FAO field offices. Identify industry trends, review and analyse the market, evaluate new products, and provide well-researched proposals for insurance policies and self-insurance schemes best suited for FAO’s needs.
- Prepare briefings on the current insurance policies, potential risks and mitigation measures, and cost analysis.
- Provide a draft proposal for a comprehensive Insurance and Risk management strategy, including resources, skills and competencies requirement, considering feasibility of collaboration and cost-sharing with the Rome-based Agencies (RBAs).
- In collaboration with Fleet Management focal points, carry out review of MS510 (FAO Administrative Manual), propose solutions for streamlined and cost-efficient approach towards management of insurance policies for FAO fleet.
- Review existing brokerage contracts, and provide support in formulating policy in commercial insurance and general liability.
- Review the existing funding mechanism(s) and the historic distribution of budgets between FAO units and sources of fund. Propose changes as required.
- Review internal/external audit recommendations in this area and ensure that they be addressed through a draft proposal.
- Any other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Business or Public Administration, Finance, Commerce, Law or related field;
- Certification in insurance and risks management or other related field;
- A minimum of ten years of relevant experience in insurance industry, experience in UN or International Financial Institutions is value added;
- Working knowledge of English, and limited knowledge of other UN official languages (Russian, Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Substantial documented experience and expertise in the insurance industry, in-depth knowledge of insurance contractual matters and solid understanding of proper financial management and reporting practices in relation to insurance.
- Experience in the field of insurance including selection of commercial insurer and insurance brokerage services.
- Extent of experience in providing risk management solutions or evaluation commercial insurance contracts within the UN System Organizations is an advantage.
- Extent of experience in the insurance industry and in insurance risk assessment work and overall enterprise risk management
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency