National Professional Officer (Value Chain Development Expert)
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)
Important Notice - Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Regional Office for RNE is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. RNE also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RNE develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The National Professional Officer reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) of the project and in collaboration with the Chief Technical Adviser of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme.
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language, and institutions of Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project.
• Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and liaises with other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings;
• Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
• Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
• Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
• Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and increase efficiency;
• Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
• Advises and coordinates with the FAO Programme Coordinator liaises with the PMU and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination necessary for the appropriate planning and implementation, and monitoring of progress of the project component in accordance with the project document;
• Works in close collaboration with and ensures timely and full coordination with the 'Project National Focal Points' to facilitate the implementation of the project, prepares periodical reports for organization of the Regional Steering Committee meetings, and acts as reporter during the meetings, and ensures timely preparation and distribution of the Committee minutes;
• Co-leads the comprehensive review for the priority commodities of the rural development programme and organizes full value chain analysis and development studies for all priority crops/commodities;
• Contributes to the identification of important local commodities in demand in local markets in each of the target regions, and prepares and assists implementation of local commodities' value addition programme;
• Supports the improvement of value addition/agro-processing physical infrastructure and logistics, including grading facilities and laboratory services, and assists the establishment and operation of local agro-processing centres and identifies and promotes access and use of technologies and innovations by small producers and their associations;
• Assists in design and implementation of a programme for value addition innovations and technology promotion in target regions including through pilot demonstration of appropriate technological packages for value addition in small-scale farming communities;
• Assists in design and conduction of a study to compare the value addition potential of traditional versus modern livestock management;
• Reviews and validates the list of identified technical experts for the project component, their Terms of Reference (ToRs) and helps managing their recruitment, and supervises component technical team, consultants and the support staff in carrying out their duties;
• Co-leads the preparation and dissemination of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists as well as knowledge products;
• Co-leads the preparation of quarterly and semi-annual project component progress reports, terminal report and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving performance;
• Co-leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and north for value addition and marketing;
• Coordinates with SRAD National Director, national stakeholders to ensure close working relations with MoEWA branches and other local authorities, to ensure timely conducting of country activities, including contractual arrangements, and inform the CTA of problems and obstacles that need attention and specific assistance;
• Provides support in the design and organization of social, qualitative and quantitative studies including but not limited to gender mainstreaming, productive family issues, entrepreneurship, internal migration and with respect to rural people and youth participation and opinion considerations;
• Ensures that SRADP investment and support components including the provision of equipment, construction of extension centers and others include marketing facilities are timely completed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
• Advanced University degree in agribusiness, value chain analysis, agricultural economics or any other related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in value chain analysis, agri-business development and/or project implementation in sustainable rural agricultural development;
• Working knowledge (Level C) of Arabic and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in value chain development and agri-business;
• Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and reviewed;
• Extent and relevance of experience in Saudi Arabia is considered a strong asset.