Consultant - Health Insurance (under Special Services Agreement)
Mission of the WHO Country Office for India
The mission of WHO India is to improve quality of life of the 1.3 billion people in India by supporting the government in eliminating vaccine preventable and other communicable diseases, reducing maternal and neonatal mortalities, promoting healthy lifestyles, addressing determinants of health, preparing and responding to health emergencies and strengthening health systems for universal health coverage.
The Health Sustainable Developments Goals (h-SDG) have UHC as the overarching goal to achieve all other health related global targets. In order to achieve UHC, it is widely recognized that investments are needed in national health systems based on a strong primary health care model.
The 2017 National Health Policy reflects the commitment of the Government of India to progress towards UHC. The Ayushman Bharat Program (ABP) aims to address health holistically by expanding a range of essential health services for Comprehensive Primary Health Care (CPHC) through Health and Wellness Centers (HWC) and increasing financial protection through Health Insurance
WHO India is providing technical support to the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MOHFW), Government of India and NITI Aayog, amongst others, on ABP at the national level and select states.
The objective of the initiative is to provide technical assistance to the state government for health system strengthening and contributing towards achievement of UHC and health SDG’s.
Description of Duties:
In the context of the 13th General Programme of Work and within the framework of the WHO Country Cooperation Strategy (2019-23), the mission of the WHO Country Office is to support India in:
- Accelerating progress on universal health coverage
- Promoting health and wellness by addressing determinants of health
- Better protect the population against health emergencies
- Enhancing India’s global leadership in health
The incumbent will work under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative to India, Deputy Head of WHO Country Office for India, direct supervision of Team Leader (Health systems) and in close collaboration with the Technical Officer (Health for Financing for UHC-UHF) and the broader team/WHO India supported by HSD/SEARO. S/he will have the following responsibilities in her/his assigned area of work:
The incumbent (s) will work closely with State Health Agency and other WHO Health system focal points in Chhattisgarh immediately and other states in future. When requested, he will also be available to respond to request from the DoHFW in Chhattisgarh and other states as needs arise.
- Lead engagement across government agencies and state and central levels in the design, implementation and improvement of the State initiated scheme and Ayushman Bharat–PM Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) reform.
- Support to the State Nodal Agency in institutionalize routine management dashboards and advanced data analytics of enrolment, empanelment, utilization and claims data to identify and address key challenges.
- With government partners develop health financing reforms in Chhattisgarh and other states as the need arises. Support Department in developing clear operational plans for execution, and continually identify opportunities to add value and maximize impact.
- Support on data analytics, Health Technology Assessment (HTA), clinical protocols/guidelines and other reforms to improve service delivery and providing continuity so that best practices and skills are shared and institutionalized within government.
- Focus on identifying and addressing hurdles to success with evidence based innovative approaches.
- Identify and address capacity building needs, ensuring skills transfer and government ownership in all projects.
- Support use of evidence to identify gaps in implementation, improving service coverage and adjusting pricing, payment and packages. Build capacity within government for evidence-based management.
- Advise Secretary & other senior officers of department on strategic and policy decisions on core functions.
- Participate in technical working groups and/or other high-level meetings and conferences, representing the Department and Local Development Partners.
- Provide coordination support between the Central and state governments, setting up systems for feedback and knowledge sharing between states, between states and central and across units of government, as well as with other academic and research units.
- Develop strong working relationships with key stakeholders in government, international partners, donors and NGOs, and ensure maximum coordination of resources and effort.
- Other responsibilities as needed
- University degree in Allopathic Medicine (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery [M.B.B.S.] recognized by Medical council of India/State Medical Council registration essential) or
- Dentistry (Bachelor of Dental Surgery [B.D.S.] recognized by Dental council of India) or
- Ayurveda (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and Surgery [B.A.M.S.] recognized by Central Council of Indian Medicine), or
- Unani (Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery [B.U.M.S.] recognized by Central Council of Indian Medicine), or
- Homeopathy (Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery [B.H.M.S.] recognized by Central Council of Homeopathy)
- Post graduate degree in Health Economics or Public Health or master’s in business administration
WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from accredited institutions. The list can be accessed through this link: http://www.whed.net/
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
Functional Skills and Knowledge:
- Good understanding of the Indian health system;
- Excellent communication, teamwork and coordination skills as well as strong analytical skills and experience with technical reporting.
Essential: Excellent knowledge English/Hindi and working knowledge of at least one other national language will be an asset. (Assamese, Tamil, etc.).
- At least two (2) years of demonstrable experience in Health Finance and Health Insurance or relevant fields in India at the Central or State Level
- Demonstrable experience with health economics analyses and monitoring and evaluation.
- Working experience with intergovernmental agencies at the national and state level will be an advantage.
Monthly remuneration is INR 189,616 taxable as per Indian laws and the appointment will be through Special Services Agreement (SSA) extendable subject to satisfactory performance and continuing need for the function. S/he could be posted anywhere in India as per the project needs.
Consultant- Health Insurance is a national of the country (India) in which he/she is to serve, is recruited locally and is not subject to assignment to any official station outside the home country. Only Indian nationals should apply.
The incumbent should contribute to ensuring high professional, ethical, and institutional standards of the Organization. S/he should also meet professional conduct expectations, and basic universal norms of honesty, integrity, loyalty, and lawful behavior. This includes compliance with the above, including ability to: perform within existing organizational structures and governance; adhere to WHO's processes; demonstrate gender and cultural sensitivity; demonstrate respectful and constructive interpersonal communication; perform as a team player; and demonstrate due diligence.
Those who are interested may wish to go to following link and apply: