ICT Expert (1 position), Level : SB 4/Peg 2 (Only for Nepalese nationals)
Enhancing Access to Justice through Institutional Reform Project-II (A2J-II) implementing under Nationally Implemented Modality (NIM), is the second Phase of Access to Justice project closed in 2021. Under the overall leadership of the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MOLJPA), the project will be implemented jointly and in a close partnership with UNDP Nepal.
The A2J Project II aims to enhance access to justice of women and other marginalized communities by strengthening the integrated legal aid services and criminal justice system in Nepal. Furthermore, the project focuses mainly on supporting the implementation of integrated legal aid frameworks by establishing necessary frameworks to deliver the justice at the local level, strengthening justice sector institutions to provide effective remedies to protect and promote the rights of women and marginalized groups as per the national and international commitment and empower women, and other marginalized groups, in particular Dalit, PWD, LGBTIQ + and Poor ones to claim their rights and participate in judicial governance/civic life.
The project will be implemented in a close coordination and partnership with government stakeholders at federal, provincial and local level. The Attorney General Office, Justice sector actors, Nepal Bar, Province and Local Governments including Judicial Committees will be the partners to work in a coordinated manner to achieve overall goals of the project.
The Project aims to be implemented in four provinces namely, Sudurpaschim, Karnali, Province No.2 and Province No. 1. The districts and local level will be selected through a rapid mapping exercise.
The ICT Expert who will be work under the guidance and supervision of the National Project Manager, will be responsible to facilitate the ICT needs assessment and assistance in introducing and strengthening innovation, and in providing ICT advice and support to the partners.
The objective of this assignment is to ensure proper implementation of appropriate technologies (software and hardware) and development of ICT tools for effective data management, upgrading existing ICT capacity and system of the project and the partners.
The incumbent is expected to spend a significant proportion of his/her time in innovation in ICT use in the project implementation and upgrade ICT system of the project and partners. S/he will lead in implementing digital technology to manage project activities especially those related to digital capacity building at the federal, provincial and local level and digitalization justice system. This assignment requires the ICT expert to offer his/her expertise in designing, implementing, and following up on the digital components of the Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the National Project Manager (NPM) of A2J-II and in close coordination with UNDP Nepal Country Office, ICT Expert will take lead role digital innovation and ICT capacity building to achieve following objectives of this tasks.
- Assess, design and adopt appropriate digital technology interventions especially in the initial phase of the implementation;
- Provide technical assistance to the stakeholders and implementing partners;
- Support in ensuring mainstreaming of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) throughout programme interventions; and
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the concerned authorities.
1. Assess, design and adopt appropriate digital technology interventions especially in the initial phase of the implementation:
- Actively partake in planning and implementation of project activities related to data management (collection, analysis, and visualization) and digital innovation in the field of law and justice sector;
- Develop capacity development action plans on digital readiness and capacity of Implementing partners and justice actors based on the ICT need assessment;
- Conduct regular monitoring and check-ups to identify gaps and challenges in adopting digital technologies introduced through the project;
- Develop data visualization training materials for implementing partners and stakeholders;
- Develop capacity building materials for data analysis and investigative skills for justice actors;
- Take lead in purchasing softwares and hardware for automated and/or manual data collection, analysis, mapping, and visualization;
- Ensure proper monitoring and reporting on digital innovation activities and provide guidance and recommendations for improvement of the project strategies and plans;
- Regularly study and adopt international best practices on digital transformation through learning events organized by UNDP and other partners; and
- Identify partnership opportunities with private sector for digital innovation in government.
2. Provide technical assistance to the stakeholders and implementing partners:
- Offer technical guidance and support to stakeholders and implementing partners in adopting digital technology including to enhance the grievance handling mechanisms (namely Hello Sarkar and Hello CM);
- Offer evidence based technical advice to the project team, MoLJPA and partner in relation to the ICT related decision making;
- Support to upgrade IT system of the MOLJPA and partners to ensure sustainable use of the ICT products that project invested;
- Support provincial and local governments decision making in product design process (mobile applications, digital portals) especially regarding product features and technology options;
- Mentor the officials working with the project team, implementing partners including provincial and local government on data classification, processing, information management system;
- Provide technical guidance and support to Access to Justice Project in its project implementation and activities on digital capacity building of the justice sector;
- Perform other operational duties related to the programme as assigned by National Project Manager;and
- Support to upgrade existing ICT system and products of the projects and implementing partners.
3. Support in ensuring mainstreaming of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) throughout programme interventions:
- Provide inputs related to IT and E-Governance on GESI component for the development of GESI tools and support their implementation at federal level, provincial and local level;
- Ensure that accessibility for women and excluded/marginalized groups is a key factor in the development and roll-out of IT and E-Governance systems at all levels, with particular attention to digital accessibility for persons with disability;
- Develop and facilitate capacity development sessions for technical Staff and external stakeholders on the importance of GESI-responsive IT and E-Governance systems; and
- Support dissemination of information, learnings and good practices to promote GESI mainstreaming and GESI-responsive capacity development initiatives related to IT and E-Governance.
4. Perform any other tasks assigned by the concerned authorities:
- Strengthen IT systems of the project, partners including provincial and local level;
- Streamline and coordinate with other concerned government at provincial and local level on IT; and
- Ensure coordinate with the ICT expert of Accountability component, partner organizations for better ICT inputs.
Impact of Results
- Legal aid system is strengthened and made readily available for the women, people with disability, and marginalized people at the provincial level;
- Coordination and collaboration between all the justice sector stakeholders for the effective functioning of legal aid system is ensured; and
- Gender and social inclusion is mainstreamed into planning and programming at the province level and strengthen legal aid outreach for women.
- Demonstrated high moral integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards, sound political judgment as well as diplomacy, impartiality and discretion and proven capacity of initiative, discretion and leadership;
- Displays cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent understanding of ICT system and digital platform of government of Nepal, especially legal and judicial sector;
- Familiarity with on legal aid, access to justice and human rights issues;
- Ability to adapt to flexible and fluid situations;
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to strengthen/upgrading existing ICT system and capacity ;
- Ability to oversee provide ICT inputs to the government authorities and bureaucracy;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change.
- Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client and responds positively to feed-back;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Effective communications skills and ability to establish good working relationships with national and international interlocutors;
- Demonstrated openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive, fast paced environment with a minimum of comfort;
- Ability to travel under harsh conditions within the country whenever required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advance University degree from a recognized university in ICT, information management, computer application.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in ICT innovation in the development projects. Experience with government agencies will be an asset.
- Significant experience in field level coordination.
- Excellent oral and written proficiency in English and Nepali.