This position provides support to the Danish Red Cross Country Office for Somalia and is hosted by the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Nairobi
IFRC is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
Within the Danish Red Cross structure, the Country Finance Officer (CFO) has a functional reporting line to the International Finance Manager (IFM) for all functional finance matters (ie, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), templates, systems etc.) and a delivery / output reporting line to the Country Manager (CM) for all delivery (output) matters (ie, financial reports, budgets, advice to local DRC management, priority of tasks etc.). The CFO position in Danish Red Cross (DRC) forms part of the Country Office. The CFO supports the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) through the Country Office in ensuring effective and timely financial management in general and of DRC supported programmes in particular. The CFO Officer also assists the Country Manager in ensuring effective and timely financial management of the Country Office expenses.
This position will focus on:
- Achieving transparent, coordinated and effective implementation of sound financial management of the country office and projects in line with DRC's commitment to donors and programme documents, budgets and plan of action.
- Improving the technical quality of the programmes financial management
- Timely and quality financial reporting to the CM and IFM
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Financial Management and Administration of Programmes, Country Office & Delegates
- Coordinate and assist Country Office / SRCS in preparing annual and quarterly programme budgets and financial reports to the donors and ensure that the donor specific guidelines are adhered to.
- Coordinate with DRC International Controller and Advisor at DRC HQ, the creation of country-level grants and projects within the DRC accounting system.
- Control and monitoring of programme budgets and expenditures and ensure compliance with donor and DRC requirements.
- Provide input to the financial overviews of the country projects and programme portfolio and follow up on grants allocated to the country.
- Process the payment of cash requests from National Societies and Country Office in the DRC payment system.
- Under the supervision of the IFM, coordinate with SRCS the yearly financial and performance audits and unannounced cash counting for programmes in the country, including tender process for local auditors, instruct these and ensure that guidelines are followed.
- Advise SRCS on their financial and administrative systems and procedures including on corruption, fraud or misuse of funds.
- Support and facilitate, in close coordination with the DRC Region / Country Team, SRCS, DRC HQ and partners, the compliant completion/closure of projects and programmes
- Data processing into the Kompas system for the reports received from SRCS.
- Identify capacity development needs and subsequently suggest, design and assist the DRC Country Team in building the financial management capacity of the National Society, where applicable.
- Prepare the quarterly Consolidated Financial Program Reports.
- Ensure monthly reporting of Country Office Accounts, including reconciliations.
- Prepare and / or provide input to financial overviews to IFM / Country Manager (CM).
- Maintain financial records/documentation and an appropriate and efficient financial filing system according to DRC filing guidelines.
- Processing DRC Country Office payments and work flow (internal) invoices.
- Plan and organise annual audits of Country Office Accounts in coordination with the IFM
- Support to Delegates on financial administration procedures and matters
- Ensure that Country Office and Delegates apply DRC administrative procedures and policies.
- Ensure compliance with DRC financial management and administration procedures (SOPs).
- Monitor and report on any suspicions of corruption, fraud or misuse of funds to CM, IFM and/or to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Perform any other task assigned by the IFM and/or CM.
- University degree in relevant area (Finance, Economics etc.). Required
- Basic Delegates Training Course or IMPACT. FACT, ERU, RDRT training. Preferred
- Relevant experience of minimum 3 years in finance management. Required
- Experience in preparing budgets, cash flow statements, financial plans and financial reporting. Required
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office and advanced proficiency in excel is a prerequisite. Required
Knowledge, Skills and Languages
- Excellent communication, planning, facilitation and coordination skills.
- Excellent Analytical Skills.
- Good cultural understanding and the ability to build confidence of partners in a challenging multicultural environment.
- Dynamic and proactive.
- Accuracy and keen attention to detail.